On this daylong adventure departing from Kona, pass through lava fields where various shades of solidified lava reveal the entire island’s past volcanic activity.
- Island Hopping: Oahu to Big Island
- Tour Duration (not including flight time): 8 hours
- Availability: Daily
- Departure and Return to Waikiki: Varies, depending on flight schedule
About the One-Day Hilo Volcano Tour from Oahu
Just a 45-minute flight from Oahu is Hawaii’s Big Island. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is home to Mauna Loa, the world’s largest active volcano, and Kilauea, one of the world’s most active volcanoes. This day tour puts you right in the middle of all of the action!
A picturesque ride gives way to the vistas of dormant volcanoes, lava beds, steam vents, and craters. Hear legends of Pele, the ancient Hawaiian goddess of the volcano, whose home is believed to be the crater of Halemaumau in the summit of Kilauea. By the tour’s end, you’ll know exactly how and why volcanoes form. You also have the opportunity to take in scenery unique to Hawaii along the way!
Hilo Volcano Special Tour Highlights
(* denotes stops made, ** denotes stop if parking available)
- Volcano National Park* – Home to one of the world’s most active volcanoes – Kilauea. Steam vents, volcanic craters and more.
- Kilauea Visitor Center (Bathroom)*
- Volcano House**
- Steam Vents**
- Halemaumau Lookout**
- Big Island Candies Factory* – A true taste of the islands and home to the world-renowned Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookie.
- Imiloa Sky Garden* – A garden restaurant featuring a locally inspired lunch and beautiful views of Imiloa’s native Hawaiian landscape.
- Rainbow Falls State Park* – A public recreational area where there is a majestic waterfall that cascades 80 feet over a lava cave. It is aptly named because rainbows are often seen in the rising mist.
- Hilo Airport* – Circle of Fire guests will be dropped off at Blue Hawaiian Helicopter.
- Richardson’s Black Sand Beach* – This is the only beach in Hilo and one of the few on the island with black sand. Here, you will see ancient Hawaiian fish ponds and enjoy a spectacular view to Mauna Kea.
- Liliuokalani Garden* – Built 1917-1919 and donated by Queen Liliuokalani, this 24.14-acre park is the largest such garden outside of Japan.
Please be advised in the event of a Government Shutdown the National Parks currently will have limited access available to the public.
FAQ: Is this an Oahu volcano tour?
While this tour departs from Waikiki, Oahu, we visit the active volcanoes located on the Big Island of Hawaii. A short flight to Volcano National Park and nearby surroundings makes for an experience of a lifetime.
- Wear walking shoes, bring a light jacket, and dress comfortably.
- Lunch is available for purchase.
- Locations/Routes may be modified due to National Park and State Park advisories.
- Volcanic fumes can be hazardous. This tour is not recommended for visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women.
- No guaranteed sighting of active lava flows.
- Snacks and small food items available for purchase at Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory.
- Food and Beverages available for purchase at the Imiloa Sky Garden Restaurant at approximately.
- All guests must bring a valid ID for airport security check-in. International guests must bring a valid passport for airport security check-in.
- All Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Airport and Airlines rules must be adhered to, i.e. no liquids. Please apply your sunscreen prior to boarding our vehicle.
- All one-day tours are subject to availability, change without notice, and include round trip transfers from Waikiki hotels and round trip airfare to the Neighbor Island.
- Your safety and comfort are our No.1 priority. Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver’s discretion to take into consideration National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, venue hours of operations, etc. Tour features can change daily as we cannot predict weather and lava viewing conditions. We do not guarantee sighting of lava flows. Surface lava flows may be present but may not be visible due to environmental conditions or time constraints. If conditions permit, walking/hiking on rough, uneven lava surfaces is involved.
- If you require any special accommodations due to disability, please include them under the comment section at the time of booking.
- If you require a wheelchair accessible vehicle, the type of wheelchair must be specified in the comments section when booking online or by directly calling Roberts Hawaii. Due to limited availability, we require ADA vehicle reservations to be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to the date and time of service.
- We make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- Once purchased, this tour fee is non-refundable and the tour cannot be canceled. Due to airline restrictions, passenger name changes are not permitted under any circumstance, and switching airlines may not be an option. Airline change penalty fees may apply and vary by airline and fare type.
- No-shows incur full charges – No refunds