LAST MINUTE OMIYAGE (GIFTS)
BY: NATALIE SCHACK
Sweet, little, local this and that’s to give (or get!).
The season of gift-giving is upon us all! The great news for those lucky people on your list? Hawai‘i is a fabulous shopper’s paradise, with an endless amount of trinkets and treats to keep your favorite loved ones’ stockings full and festive. Take a peek at some of our go-to stuffers for this season, from seriously chic home decor, to the decadently buttery, tropical cookies to pretty, locally crafted ornaments. However you’re putting it under the tree and on the mantel, Hawaii is always a good idea—especially during the holidays!
- Brighten up their kitchen with frame-worthy, vibrantly colored tea towels in tropical designs that will warm up their home, even in the dead of winter. Cultivate Hawai‘i at Owens & Co., 1152, Nuuanu Ave.
- Hey, take cookie season seriously. These (almost!) unbearably cute pineapple shaped ones are as sweet as they look—but they’re not messing around either. Think chunks of luscious tropical fruit, Kona coffee, mac nuts and chocolate coatings. Honolulu Cookie Company, Ala Moana Center Center Food Court.
- Talk about the perfect pairings: Tangy and creamy. Sweet and sour. Passion fruit butter will go as well with your friend’s morning toast like Mr. and Mrs. Claus. Aunty Lilikoi.
- These handcrafted Kona coffee soaps are made with love in the chic house of a crafty, stylish, Manoa-dwelling duo. They love their home so much they want to share it with you—and all your friends. My Manoa.
- Blink and you’ll miss this teeny, off-the-beaten-path shop, but finding it is well worth the trip. Think adorable dolls, wooden trinkets and sweet ornament like this coral one. Shoptoast, 3434 Waialae Ave., Suite 3.
- Did you know that Hawaii has a cultural cowboy history? One Hawaii fashionista honors and harnesses that past with a stylish line of luxurious, handmade leather goods that are the ultimate bohemian lover’s gift. Voyage leather keychain from Salty Western.
- Ask a local for hot sauce and you’re bound to receive some homemade chili water, an island staple. In other words? We love our hot sauce. One of the best to buy (and give!) is this pineapple winner. Adoboloco, Whole Foods Market, 4211 Waialae Ave.
- Beautiful and elegant, these cool, leather coasters by local artist Andrew Mau are the perfect way to jazz up that cocktail night (or any night), island style. Mau House.
- We love this local artist’s graphic, vintage-inspired reimagining of iconic Hawaii spots, but these stickers are an absolutely can’t miss. Not only are they cute as can be, they’re perfect for tucking into a stocking, card or gift bag. Nick Kuchar Art and Design Co.
- Postcards are nice, but nothing evokes the feeling of Hawaii like it’s luscious scents. Let your loved ones bring it home in style, with these lovely, gold travel candles from Hawaii-to-California crafters. Makana.