Discover Hana, the jewel of the Valley Isle, on this breathtaking adventure, as you access the narrow, winding road marked by tiny bridges, wildly gorgeous foliage, and waterfalls.
- Duration: 9.5 hours
- Availability: Select Wednesdays & Fridays
- Time: 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
HALEAKALA, UPCOUNTRY MAUI & IAO VALLEY DAY TOUR (in collaboration with Valley Isle Excursions)
The perfect slice of Maui awaits you on this scenic tour of The Valley Isle’s many natural and historical wonders. It’s a comprehensive taste of the best that Maui has to offer, and a window into why this beloved island is one of the world’s most popular visitor destinations. You’ll visit the most sacred and famous of the island’s sites, climb Haleakala volcano, aptly named “House of the Sun” to the very summit, and picnic in the charming lavender fields of the rural upcountry. You’ll take in history firsthand, visiting sites of monumental battles in Hawaiian history, exploring the vibrant natural paradises that exist in the island’s nooks and valleys, and see some of the stunning, unique wildlife that calls this gorgeous tropical space home. Through it all, our guides will give you an invaluable glimpse into the cultural traditions of the ancient Native Hawaiians, their military and peacetime practices, stories of royalty, the mechanisms of their ingenious farm and fishing methods, and their deeply meaningful relationship with, and respect for, the land.
- KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
We’ll pick you up! Transportation to and from your hotel is complimentary.
Your tour will be operated by the friendly, knowledgeable experts at Valley Isle Excursions, which is under contract with the U.S. Federal Government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service. Drivers are first aid and CPR certified.
It gets very, very cold at the summit, and can be very windy. Come prepared with warm clothing and layers to pile on once you’re at the top. We recommend a hat and even some gloves, which will keep your hands toasty and free for photo-taking.
The air is thinner, with reduced oxygen levels, at the peak of Haleakala, so our tour vehicles come equipped with an oxygen generator. However, guests with respiratory conditions or expectant mothers should exercise caution and consult with a doctor before coming on the trip.
Please note that in some cases, weather and a host of other unpredictable factors may result in schedule and timing changes.
Gluten-free and vegan dining options are available! Please inform us at least 72 hours before departure by including a note in the “Special Request” box during online checkout.
“Malama aina” is a Hawaiian for land stewardship, and forms a keystone to native values and philosophy, both in ancient times, and today.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“We went on the Haleakala, Iao Valley and Central Maui day tour. Edwurd was very knowledgeable about every tree and its origins. Saw very beautiful views and plant life. I am a big fan of city tours, it allows me the opportunity to see and learn things without having to drive it.” – Theresa B, via TripAdvisor
“We already liked Roberts from our past tours, so we took this one too. They picked us up from the hotel, right on time. Very informative and knowledgeable driver. If you are staying in Kahului this tour will kill 2 birds in one stone: Haleakala and Lahaina.” – BM11375, via TripAdvisor
“Great, informative tour day with a variety of scenery. We would recommend both Roberts Hawaii Tours & Ty as a tour guide!” Taryn O, via TripAdvisor
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS (* denotes stops made)
- Haleakala Summit and National Park*– A visit to the peak of a volcano at Haleakala National Park, where unbelievable vistas and ethereal landscapes make it an unforgettable experience.
- Lavender Café and Farm* – A stop at a lavender farm and cafe in Kula, which boasts pretty, meandering paths among hills that look down on Maui’s sweeping coastlines.
- Iao Valley State Park – A stop at Iao Valley state park, now a botanical garden, site of where the iconic King Kamehameha, the unifier of the Hawaiian Islands, once did battle with Maui forces.
- Iao Needle – The majestic Iao Needle, a natural land formation that towers above the rainforest floor.
- Kealia National Wildlife Refuge* – An exploration of Hawaii’s precious wildlife at Kealia National Wildlife refuge, haven to endangered wetland and migratory birds.
- Café O’Lei* – A continental breakfast at Cafe O Lei.
- This tour is operated by Valley Isle Excursions
About Valley Isle Excursions
- This tour is operated by Valley Isle Excursions, a concessionaire under contract with the U.S. federal government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service.
- Valley Isle Excursions drivers are National Association of Interpretation (NAI), first aid and CPR certified. Valley Isle Excursions is committed to respecting and protecting the island’s environment and make every effort to have the lightest ecological footprint possible by recycling and generating no trash during the tour.
- Group sizes are limited to 12 guests per guide.
- ADA Requests
- Due to limited availability, wheelchair-accessible vehicles may not be available for your tour. Please check prior to booking and make reservations at least four days in advance.
- Valley Isle Excursions makes all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- Cancellation Terms
Enjoy risk-free booking! Reservations made after 1/1/18 may be canceled free of charge up to 48 hours prior to your scheduled tour service for a full refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable.