Discover Hana, the jewel of the Valley Isle, on this breathtaking adventure, as you access the narrow, winding road marked by tiny bridges, wildly gorgeous foliage, and waterfalls.
- Duration: 6 hours
- Availability: Daily
- Time: Sunrise
- Time varies based on the time of year, but it is approximately 2:10 a.m. or 2:25 a.m.
- Adults Ages 12+
- Child Ages 4 - 11
Maui Haleakala Sunrise Tour
Heart-stopping sunrises. Unparalleled vistas. Otherworldly volcanic landscapes. There’s a reason Haleakala National Park is one of Maui’s undisputed must-sees, and one of the most popular sights to see on the island. Centered around Maui’s shield volcano, the park peaks at 10,023 feet above sea level, with everything from red desert terrain to lush waterfall rainforests—and makes for one of the most gorgeous sunset settings you’ll find on earth.
Haleakala Sunrise Experience
Travel along the winding mountain roads, through the clouds, and up to the highest peak on the island, to witness a jaw-dropping interplay of fiery colors and dazzling, illuminated clouds that paint the morning Maui sky. In fact, this sacred and majestic place gets its name from the Hawaiian word for “House of the Rising Sun” and features prominently in ancient myths and legends. Experience for yourself the Haleakala sunrise experience that Mark Twain called “the most sublime spectacle I have ever witnessed.”
Legend has it that it was from the Haleakala summit that Hawaiian demigod Maui lassoed La, the sun god himself, with a coconut fiber rope. Only when La promised to slow his journey across the sky—thus lengthening the day—did Maui release him.
Highlights (* denotes stops made)
- Zippy’s Restaurant* – Enjoy a cozy continental breakfast at this popular local eatery prior to your journey up Haleakala.
- Haleakala Summit and National Park* – Witness a breathtaking sunrise from the most romantic spot on the island. Learn about the area’s cultural and historical background by seasoned tour guides.
- Island-Style Hot Breakfast* – Feast a hot all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast after sunrise.
- This tour is operated by Valley Isle Excursions, a concessionaire under contract with the U.S. federal government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service.
- Valley Isle Excursions drivers are National Association of Interpretation (NAI), first aid and CPR certified. Valley Isle Excursions is committed to respecting and protecting the island’s environment, and make every effort to have the lightest ecological footprint possible by recycling and generating no trash during the tour.
- Group sizes are limited to 12 guests per guide.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- Pickup time is approximately 2:00 a.m. – 2:30 a.m. but may vary based on the time of year.
- Your tour will be operated by the friendly, knowledgeable experts at Valley Isle Excursions, which is under contract with the U.S. Federal Government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service. Drivers are first aid and CPR certified.
- There are more endangered species in Haleakala National Park than in any other park in the National Park Service. Check out the eye-catching ahinahina silversword plant and the iconic Hawaiian nene goose, Hawaii’s state bird, during your visit.
- The National Park Service requires a reservation to watch the sunrise. Your Roberts Hawaii tour guide will take care of these fees and logistics for you.
- Please stay on the trails at all times and refrain from generating any trash while in the park! We are committed to respecting and preserving the island’s unique environment, and that means having the lightest ecological footprint possible.
- There are stunning vistas at potentially every turn—we recommend keeping your cameras handy and at the ready during the drive.
- It gets very, very cold at the summit, and can be very windy. Come prepared with warm clothing and layers to pile on once you’re at the top. We recommend a hat and even some gloves, which will keep your hands toasty and free for photo-taking.
- Due to limited availability, wheelchair-accessible vehicles may not be available for your tour. Please check prior to booking and make reservations at least four days in advance.
- Valley Isle Excursions makes all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
Enjoy risk-free booking! Reservations may be canceled free of charge up to 72 hours prior to your scheduled tour service for a full refund. No-shows and tours canceled less than 72 hours in advance are non-refundable.