On this daylong adventure departing from Kona, pass through lava fields where various shades of solidified lava reveal the entire island’s past volcanic activity.
- Duration: 8 hours
- Availability: Daily
- Time: 8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Hotel Pickup: 8:45 a.m. – 8:55 a.m.
HAWAII VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK TOUR
This is a tour unlike any other. Hawaii is the newest and youngest volcanic island to emerge in the Hawaiian archipelago. You will learn about the seismic activity that’s been a constant on the Big Island and the culture that sprang up around it. See volcanoes and ancient lava beds while discovering the legends meant to explain these natural phenomena. Along the way take in some of the most unique scenery Hawaii has to offer. By the end of, the tour you will know exactly how and why volcanoes occur.
DID YOU KNOW?
In the Hawaiian religion, Pele is the goddess of fire and volcanoes, and also the creator of the Hawaiian Islands. Often referred to as Madame Pele, she is a well-known deity within Hawaiian legends. The myths often highlight Pele’s power, passion, jealousy, and capriciousness. As the story goes, Pele was on her canoe from the island of Tahiti to Hawaii, trying to create her fires on different islands, but her sister, Namaka, was chasing her wanting to put an end to her. In the end, the two sisters fought each other and Pele, in the end, was killed. Her body was destroyed but her spirit lives in the Halemaumau crater on Kilauea
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“This is an excellent tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We were picked up at the port and drove to the National Park, stopping along the way for photo opportunities at Rainbow Falls. Our driver kept us entertained with information about the island, the volcano and the island’s legends. The Park is surreal with the steam vents here and there and everywhere.” – Visitor, Canada (Trip Advisor)
“We booked our tour with Robert Hawaii for the interisland tour of the volcano. It was great to see the island. It is a lot of time on the bus, but our guide was very informative. I was glad I did it, and really only went over there for the volcano and also black beach where we got to see turtles. I wish we could have stayed there a little long but love the tour.”– Visitor, Australia (Trip Advisor)
“We went with Roberts Hawaii’s volcano tour. There were around 30 people in the group. It was an all-day tour. It was tiring but the stunning view of the volcanos at the end of the trip was worth it. This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip to see the active volcanos.” – Visitor, Cincinnati, Ohio (Trip Advisor)
HILO VOLCANO SPECIAL TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
(* denotes stops made, ** denotes stop made if parking available)
- Volcano National Park* – Home to one of the world’s most active volcano – Kilauea, volcanic craters, and more.
- Kilauea Visitor Center (Bathroom)*
- Volcano House**
- Steam Vents**
- Halemaumau Crater Lookout**
- Big Island Candies* –A true taste of the islands and home to the world-renowned Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookie.
- Imiloa Sky Garden* – A garden restaurant featuring locally inspired food and beautiful views of Imiloa’s native Hawaiian landscape.
- Rainbow Falls State Park* – Home to a breathtaking waterfall that cascades from 80 feet over a natural lava cave, the mythological home to Hina, an ancient Hawaiian goddess. The waterfall gets its name from the spectacular rainbows frequently seen here.
- Hilo Airport* – The bus may stop at Hilo Airport to drop off Circle of Fire guests.
- Richardson’s Black Sand Beach* –This is the only beach in Hilo and one of the few on the island with black sand. Here, you will see ancient Hawaiian fish ponds and enjoy a spectacular view to Mauna Kea.
- Liliuokalani Garden* – Built 1917-1919 and donated by Queen Liliuokalani, this 24.14-acre park is the largest such garden outside of Japan.
Please be advised in the event of a Government Shutdown the National Parks currently will have limited access available to the public.
- Important Information
- IMPORTANT: If you are coordinating same-day flights to take this tour, please contact our office for estimated tour departure and return times before booking your air tickets. The Hilo Volcano Special tour is subject to time changes as we adjust for the seasons. Tour timings are also subject to traffic conditions.
- Your safety and comfort are our #1 priority. Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, venue hours of operations, etc. Tour features can change daily as we cannot predict weather and lava viewing conditions.
- We do not guarantee sighting of lava flows. Surface lava flows may be present but may not be visible due to environmental conditions or time constraints. If conditions permit, walking/hiking on rough, uneven lava surfaces is involved.
- Volcanic fumes can be hazardous. This tour is not recommended for visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women.
- Wear sturdy, covered walking shoes. Please bring a light jacket as it may rain.
- Food is available for purchase at the Imiloa Sky Garden Restaurant.
- Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, and venue hours of operations.
- ADA Requests
- The Richardson Black Sand Beach is not wheelchair accessible.
- If you require any special accommodations due to disability, please include them under the comment section at the time of booking.
- If you require a wheelchair accessible vehicle, the type of wheelchair must be included in the comments section when booking online or by directly calling Roberts Hawaii. Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service.
- We make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- Cancellation Terms
Reservations may be canceled free of charge up to 48 hours prior to your scheduled tour service for a full refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable.