Prepare for a thrilling day exploring volcanoes, volcanic craters, and black sand beaches on Hawaii’s enchanting Big Island, and come face to face with Kilauea and Mauna Loa.
- Duration: Approximately 10 hours
- Availability: Daily
- Time: 7:30 a.m. – 7:50 p.m.
- Hotel Pickup: 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
HAWAII GRAND CIRCLE ISLAND TOUR
Hawaii’s largest and youngest island is quite possibly the most dramatic and awe-inspiring in the Hawaiian chain. So, while a day isn’t quite enough to experience all the natural beauties and wonders Hawaii Island offers, we like to believe this Big Island Circle Day Tour itinerary does a pretty good job.
Your arrival in the middle of a vast lava field might almost seem like a moon landing. Lava, now solidified, has created a wave-like, rippled field that spreads out as far as the eye can see. If this isn’t drama enough, the landscape does a 180º along the western coast of the island where tropical bounty abounds. Along the way, you’ll make a delicious stop at Royal Kona Coffee in the midst of Hawaii Island’s famous coffee-growing region. It’s a remarkable place of organic beauty, where lush coffee bean trees seem to spring up among the other island foliage.
DID YOU KNOW?
Hawaii’s most famous and well-known region for growing coffee is Kona. There are more than 800 coffee farms in the district, situated on one of two volcanoes: Hualalai or Mauna Loa. The climate conditions in Kona provide an excellent location for growing coffee: rich volcanic soil full of minerals and afternoon clouds that provide natural shade. Generally, Kona coffee is known for having a complex flavor profile: a sweet aroma with floral and nutty notes and a silky smooth finish.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Our driver, was professional, knowledgeable, funny, courteous, thoughtful and just an all-round nice guy. The tour takes about 10 hours and covers 250 miles with some great sites all around Kona, Hilo and everything in between. All in all, a wonderful day.” – Visitor, Pennsylvania (Trip Advisor)
“We have been a part of Roberts on a different island and we were not disappointed as we did the Circle Island tour of the Big Island! Our tour guide was awesome in sharing great Hawaiian culture and the specifics in the island. It was well worth the money!” – Visitor, Kansas (Trip Advisor)
“Thank you again for the great service in Kona! We had a great time yesterday with our driver, who worked around occasional rain and ensured we had a great time! The tour itinerary includes plenty of time at Volcano National Park and is a complete circle tour of the Big Island of Hawaii!” – Visitor, Switzerland (Trip Advisor)
HAWAII ISLAND GRAND CIRCLE TOUR HIGHLIGHTS (* denotes stops made, ** denotes stop if parking available)
- Rainbow Falls State Park* – A public recreational area where there is a majestic waterfall that cascades 80 feet over a lava cave. It is aptly named because rainbows are often seen in the rising mist.
- Imiloa Sky Garden* – A garden restaurant featuring a locally inspired lunch and beautiful views of Imiloa’s native Hawaiian landscape.
- Big Island Candies Factory* – A true taste of the islands and home to the world-renowned Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookie.
- Volcano National Park* – Home to one of the world’s most active volcano – Kilauea, steam vents, volcanic craters and more.
- Kilauea Visitor Center(Bathroom)*
- Volcano House**
- Steam Vents**
- Halemaumau Lookout**
- Punaluu Black Sand Beach* – Famous and picturesque, this black sand beach is an unforgettable site where “Honu” (Hawaiian sea turtles) often enjoy basking in the Hawaiian sun.
- Royal Kona Coffee* – Panoramic farms growing exclusively grown gourmet Kona coffee beans.
Please be advised in the event of a Government Shutdown the National Parks currently will have limited access available to the public.
- Important Information
- Your safety and comfort are our #1 priority. Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, venue hours of operations, etc. Tour features can change daily as we cannot predict weather and lava viewing conditions.
- We do not guarantee sighting of lava flows. Surface lava flows may be present but may not be visible due to environmental conditions or time constraints. If conditions permit, walking/hiking on rough, uneven lava surfaces is involved.
- Moderate walking, please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately. You are advised to bring a light jacket as it may get cold.
- Lunch will be available for purchase.
- Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, and venue hours of operations.
- Volcanic fumes can be hazardous. This tour is not recommended for visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women.
- ADA Requests
- If you require any special accommodations due to disability, please include them under the comment section at the time of booking.
- If you require a wheelchair accessible vehicle, the type of wheelchair must be included in the comments section when booking online or by directly calling Roberts Hawaii. Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service.
- We make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- Cancellation Terms
Reservations may be canceled free of charge up to 48 hours prior to your scheduled tour service for a full refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable.