On this daylong adventure departing from Kona, pass through lava fields where various shades of solidified lava reveal the entire island’s past volcanic activity.
- Duration: Full day
- Availability: Daily
- Time: 5:15 a.m.
About the Grand Circle Island Tour
Of course, an exploration around the Big Island would hardly be complete without a visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to encounter Kilauea, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, and Mauna Loa, the most massive volcano on the globe. Seeing these untamed volcanic wonders leaves you in awe of nature’s brute power and gives you a deeper understanding of the island’s colorful, volcano-inspired legends.
After leaving the park, the tour heads to Punaluu Black Sand Beach, where sea turtles often nest. Then you are off to see the world-renowned Kona coffee plantations. At the first stop at Rainbow Falls State Park, soaring waterfalls cascade from a natural volcanic backdrop. Next is a visit to Big Island Candies, famous for its chocolate-dipped macadamia nut shortbread cookie.
Tour Overview (* denotes stops made)
- Parker Ranch – Founded in the mid-1800s, Parker Ranch is one of the oldest and largest cattle ranches in the country.
- Hamakua Coast – Home to lush tropical rain forests, beautiful waterfalls, taro farms and black sand beaches.
- Akaka Falls State Park* – A short half-hour hike takes you to two waterfalls: Kahuna Falls and ‘Akaka Falls. The latter is perhaps the most famous Hawai‘i Island waterfall.
- Rainbow Falls State Park* -A public recreational area where there is a majestic waterfall that cascades 80 feet over a lava cave. It is aptly named because rainbows are often seen in the rising mist.
- ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center* – An astronomy and culture education center highlighting exhibits and shows dealing with Hawaiian Culture.
- Big Island Candies Factory* – A true taste of the islands and home to the world-renowned Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookie.
- Punalu’u Black Sand Beach* – Famous and picturesque, this black sand beach is an unforgettable site where honu (Hawaiian sea turtles) often enjoy basking in the Hawaiian sun.
- Royal Kona Coffee* – Panoramic farms growing exclusively grown gourmet Kona coffee beans.
Attention: Modified Itineraries – Effective Saturday, September 22, 2018, the Volcano National Park reopens to the public. Click here for more information.
- Important Information
- Wear walking shoes, bring a light jacket, and dress comfortably.
- Lunch is available for purchase.
- Route may be modified due to National Park Advisories.
- Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, and venue hours of operations.
- Volcanic fumes can be hazardous. This tour is not recommended for visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women.
- ADA Requests
- If you require any special accommodations due to disability, please include them under the comment section at the time of booking.
- If you require a wheelchair accessible vehicle, the type of wheelchair must be specified in the comments section when booking online or by directly calling Roberts Hawaii. Due to limited availability, we require ADA vehicle reservations to be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to the date and time of service.
- We make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- Cancellation Terms
- Once purchased, this tour fee is non-refundable and the tour cannot be canceled. Due to airline restrictions, passenger name changes are not permitted under any circumstance, and switching airlines may not be an option. Airline change penalty fees may apply and vary by airline and fare type.
- No-shows incur full charges – No refunds